Managing Nagios Configs with Git
Who I Am
- Primary Network Administrator of VOI Network Solutions – Winnipeg-based commercial Internet Service Provider and carrier.
- Involved with both Internet Exchanges in Winnipeg.
- Elected member on the Board of Directors for MBIX.
- Also involved with the creation and technical operations of WpgIX.
- Avid opensource software user/fanatic, and recently, contributor.
My Life with Nagios
- Running Nagios since ~2006.
- Mainly for ISP monitoring.
- Mainly active checks from a central host.
- Also agent based checks (NRPE, Salt)
- I run 2 distributed Nagios processes.
- 1 on Voi Networks (v4/v6)
- 1 on Vultr (v4/v6)
Why Manage Configs w/ Git?
- Automatically backs up your configs.
- Easy to view when changes were made, and what exact changes were made.
- Patches can be made to distribute changes to other instances.
Questions / End
- Question & Answer period as time permits.
- Presentation source/download available at github